Monday, October 20, 2014

"What the Girl Wore" featured on Poetry Daily

I'm pretty thrilled that my poem "What the Girl Wore" was published recently in the Fall 2014 issue of Shenandoah, a wonderful magazine with a rich and long literary history. It's an important poem to me. I think of it as a companion piece to my lyric "Why I Mother You the Way I Do" (from my collection Seed Across Snow  from Red Hen Press). Both poems are rooted in my teenage years when three girls I'd known were killed when I was seventeen. Two were sisters hit by a car while trying to run across the road in front of my high school after the dismissal bell and then a few months later the kid sister of a friend of mine was murdered. I've always suspected trying to understand these inexplicable tragedies is what spurred me on to be a writer.  I just heard that Poetry Daily will feature "What the Girl Wore" on October 22, a wonderful honor for a poem that was rejected about a dozen times before RT Smith took it for Shenandoah.

No comments:

Post a Comment